WEEKEND MOVIE WRAP-UP
Neither the arrival of J. Lo, nor Johnny Depp, nor George Lucas could take down American Sniper from the top of the box office. Clint Eastwood’s Iraqi war film added an additional $64.3 million to its already impressive ticket sales.
Jennifer Lopez’s latest, The Boy Next Door, landed in second place with a 15 million dollar take. The film has proven to be one of her most successful thrillers beating out the box offices for Angel Eyes and Enough. According to Deadline, 71% of ticket buyers were female and 44% were Latino.
- Lucas’ animated family film, Strange Magic, debuted in seventh place with $5.5 million. It failed to slow down Paddington which held onto third place with $12.39 million.
- Mortdecai is the latest in Depp’s string of box office flops that also included Transcendence and The Lone Ranger. The action comedy only scored $4.1 million but managed to crack the top 10 by landing in ninth place.
- The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies, Unbroken, and Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb all fell out of the top 10.
THIS WEEKEND’S TOP TEN MOVIES — JANUARY 23 – JANUARY 25
1. American Sniper, $64.3M
2. The Boy Next Door, $15M
3. Paddington, $12.39M
4. The Wedding Ringer, $11.6M
5. Taken 3, $7.6M
6. The Imitation Game, $7.1M
7. Strange Magic, $5.5M
8. Selma, $5.5M
9. Mortdecai, $4.1M
10. Into The Woods, $3.88M