Trump sues Univision for $500 million over Miss USA cancellation
U.S. presidential candidate Donald Trump filed a $500 million lawsuit on Tuesday (July 1) against Univision over the Spanish-language TV network’s decision to end its contract to broadcast the Miss USA pageant, which is co-owned by Trump.
Univision said last week it would not air the July 12 pageant because of what it called insulting remarks about Mexican immigrants made by Trump when he announced he was running for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination.
The 19-page lawsuit accuses Univision of a “thinly veiled attempt” to stifle Trump’s freedom of speech in order to boost Democratic frontrunner Hilary Clinton. The network’s principal owner, Haim Saban, is a Clinton fundraiser, according to the lawsuit.
While officially announcing his candidacy on June 16, Trump accused Mexico of sending rapists and other criminals to the United States.
In a statement, Univision said it reviewed Trump’s complaint, and it is “both factually false and legally ridiculous.” Univision said it would vigorously defend itself.
Last week, the network said it would not air the pageant and would sever ties with the Miss Universe Organization, which had been a joint venture between Trump and Comcast-owned NBC Universal, in light of his “recent, insulting remarks about Mexican immigrants.”