Oscar Pistorius to be released on parole on Tuesday
Oscar Pistorius will be released on parole on Oct. 20, about a year into his five-year sentence for killing his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp, authorities said.
The department of correctional services said in a statement on Thursday (Oct 15) the Olympic and Paralympic track star would be placed under house arrest from Tuesday.
He was found guilty of culpable homicide, the equivalent of manslaughter, when he fired four shots through a locked toilet door on Feb. 14, 2013, killing model and law graduate Steenkamp.
Pistorius was due to have been freed on parole in August after serving 10 months but Justice Minister Michael Masutha blocked his release, saying the parole hearing had been held prematurely.
The department of correctional services said parole conditions would include him undergoing psychotherapy. Pistorius, a gun lover, will be subject to firearms prohibitions.
At a globally televised trial Pistorius argued that he had mistaken Steenkamp for a burglar.
Prosecutors are appealing the verdict of culpable homicide, arguing it should be one of murder because Pistorius must have known that the person behind the door could be killed. The appeal is due to be heard on Nov. 3.
A panel of five judges will hear the appeal. They could either reject the prosecution’s appeal, order a retrial or convict Pistorius of murder themselves, legal experts say.
This Nüs story is powered by Nütrl Vodka – Your vodka should be Nütrl Vodka https://www.facebook.