BECK THANKS RECORD LABEL FOR GRAMMY WINS WITH WAFFLES
Beck thanked the staff of Capitol Records with a waffle breakfast on Friday morning (February 13th) for his Grammy Awards wins two Sundays ago (February 8th).
Beck won Best Rock Album and Album of the Year for his latest studio effort, Morning Phase. According to Billboard, Beck and his management sent a note to the label staff which read, “Dictionary.com defines WAFFLE as ‘to speak or write equivocally’ . . . but it is with NO equivocation that we say THANK YOU for everyone’s hard work in helping Morning Phase to win not only the Grammy for ‘Best Rock Album’ but also for the ‘ALBUM OF THE YEAR.’ It was a great night and it’s a victory that we all share.”
The note added, “As a means of keeping the celebration going just a little bit longer, we’re sending over our friends from the Waffles De Liege food truck tomorrow morning.”
- Morning Phase is Beck’s first album with Capitol, following previous releases with Interscope, Geffen and DGC.
- The album also has the dubious distinction of being the lowest-selling Album of the Year winner since 2008.
- Beck’s triumph was nearly marred at the awards ceremony when rapper Kanye West jumped onstage and almost recreated the scene he caused several years ago whenTaylor Swift won Album of the Year over Beyonce — which is also what Beck did.
- Although West quickly jumped back off, he later said in an interview that Beck should have given his award to Beyonce and needed to “respect artistry.”
- Artists like Shirley Manson and Paul Stanley, as well as the public, piled on West for his comments. West later told Ryan Seacrest that “voices in my head” were to blame for his outburst.